GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISM (GMO)
The legal and regulatory status of GMO foods varies by country, GMO farm produce are widely accepted by the agricultural world by some developing countries because of its resistance to pest and insects, while other countries with restrictions with some nations banning or restricting them, and others permitting them with widely differing degrees of regulation, frequent crop testing and special storage processes.
GMO products taking over the market with warm acceptance by the members of the public but it does not change the fact that they pose great risk to human health scientifically so the need for GMO products to be tested before use or introduction is important. The public lacks this vital information so they probably eat GMO product without the knowledge of the scientists results and the scientific risks attached to the product so they perceive it is safe.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HYBRID AND GMO PLANT
- HYBRID is developed through controlled natural cross-pollination of two parent plants that can occur naturally while GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms) are the product of species-crossing to create untested organisms that can never occur in nature to give crop and animal a new quality.
- HYBRIDS are crops developed in the field using natural low-tech methods while GMOs are crops created in a lab using highly complex technology, such as gene splicing.
- Provision of HYBRID crops are less expensive it only need the application of fertilizers and water during irrigation process while GMOs are expensive due to the sophisticated lab techniques.
- HYBRID crops taste good and offers beneficial dietary nutrients just like their parent while GMO crops pose serious threat to human and animal health, they have been completely banned in 19 countries within the European Union due to the study that was finally conducted by World Health Organisation(WHO), it found severe liver and kidney damage, as well as hormonal disturbance and large cancer tumours in the rats the rats feed GMO products.
- HYBRID crops do not contain any bacterial organisms while all GMO product contains the DNA of a bacteria that damages the digestive tract of whatever eats it.
- HYBRIDS provide advantages such as resistance to pest and diseases and increased farm productivity.
- HYBRID contain natural nutrients needed in the body while GMOS contains glyphosate which can be found in urine and blood which causes birth defects.
Which one would you choose?
We are what we eat, your choice determines your health and the health status of the people around you. Knowing this few benefits and features of Hybrid and Genetically Modified Organisms the difference is clear to know the healthy and harmful food for consumption.